Winter At The Cottage
What's cozier than curling up by a cottage fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa and a flannel blanket? I can't think of anything. It's so cliché, I know, but it's also GLAMOUROUS -- the stuff of Hollywood movies. All you need is a gorgeous ski instructor, and you're good to go.
This Christmas, then, throw Disney to the wind (the lines are horrendous, anyway), and take the family on a ski vacation. Rent a warm winter cottage and enjoy the perks of winter cottage life without out the hassle of owning the cottage, heh. Winterizing - blech!
Ooo! Ooo! A hot tub under the stars with the spectacular mountain view.... Sound enticing? I think so!
Depending on the area, winter cottage rentals shouldn't be too hard to find, and prices are usually reasonable. Especially since most people are, erm, probably standing in line at Disney instead of chilling by the log fire, cross country skiing or snow shoeing (yes, people do that!).
And they're missing out because, winter cottaging is where it's at, especially with the economy the way it is. People are staying close to home and embracing, rather than escaping, the cold winter months....
Now, unless you plan on holing up in the cottage the entire time (nothing wrong with that, by the way), be sure to come prepared:
- research fire lighting on the internet so you can stoke an old-fashion fireplace (the best kind), if necessary;
- bring lots of warm clothes - sweaters, sweatshirts, perhaps a blanket, hats, scarves, gloves, well-insulated boots, ski clothes, etc.;
- maybe bring some soups or your favourite hot chocolate;
- check the local tourist board for movies, museums and indoor entertainment, as well as recreational facilities, like skating rinks, ski resorts, and sugar bushes - mmm, syrup;
- bring a bathing suit or two for that hot tub;
- check if you need to bring bedding, pillows and towels (a must for any cottage rental).
Finally, be sure to check out the winter festivals - they thrive in cottage country.
You're good to go. Enjoy!